NameCapt. John Woodman
Birthabt 1637, Corsham Village England
Death17 Sep 1706, Oyster River (Durham), New Hampshire
FatherEdward Woodman (1606-1670)
MotherJoanna Salway (~1613->1688)
Misc. Notes

John Woodman settled in Dover, New Hampshire in that part known as Oyster River (now the town of Durham, New Hampshire) where he received a land grant of 100 acres Nov 10, 1658, and a grant of an additional twenty acres 30 July, 1660 "at the head of William Beard's creek, on the west side thereof and on the north side of Stoney Broke, the broke being the first bounds into the aforesayd creek". This twenty acre grant was between the lands of William Beard and Valentine Hill, apparently the same land where he built his garrison. He received a grant of an additional twenty acres 25 Sept, 1661 "betwixt the freshett that runneth to Mr. Hill's mill pond and the upper end of the pond, whear the sayd John Woodman shall see gode to make choyse of, not intrenching apon ani former grant". Benjamin Mathes conveyed to him an‹
other parcel of land "on the west side of William Beard's
creek, containing all the Marsh on the north side of Stony
brook to the head of that creek." It is said that John and
his two sons held "twelve score acres of land at Oyster River".

"This garrison, which is still in an admirable state of
preservation [in 1892], is one of the largest and most noted
of the Oyster River defences. It is beautifully situated on
the eastern slope of a hill at the head of Beard's creek,
with brooks and deep ravines on every side of the acclivity,
except at the west. It has a fine outlook for an approaching enemy, as well as a charming view in every direction except in the rear where the rise of land intercepts the
prospect. Durham village, which did not exist when this
garrison was built, lies at the south in full view, embosomed among the trees; and at the east may be traced the
windings of Oyster river on its way to the Pascataqua. At
the north, through an opening between the hills, can be seen
the spot where the Huckins garrison stood; and nearer at
hand, but separated from it by a profound ravine, is the
field where occurred the massacre of 1689."

"Woodman's garrison is one of the most interesting monuments
of early times in the state. Unfortunately, it is no longer
in posession of the family. The last owner of the name was
Prof. John S. Woodman of Dartmouth College. After his death
[in 1871] it was sold by his widow, together with the adjacent land that for more than two hundred years had been
owned by the Woodman family."(Excerpted from Landmarks in
Ancient Dover, by Mary P Thompson, 1892)

He was identified a freeman May 23, 1666 and held the office
of selectman various years from 1662 to 1694. He held a
Captain's commission which was renewed in 1690 by the Massachusetts government and again in 1692 by the governor of New Hampshire. March 27, 1704 he (among others) was ordered
to muster a company of volunteers for service in the French
and Indian wars. (Excerpted from A Genealogical History of
Morrill, Maine)

The book "American Commonwealths" by Frank B. Sanborn
states: "The struggle by New Hampshire to break away from
Massachusetts came to a conclusion when the commissioners of
Exeter, Hampton, Dover and Portsmouth prepared a simple constitution - the first by popular initiative ever submitted
to the people for adoption. This was January 24, 1690. The
convention held for this purpose was made up of the leading
men in each town, twenty-two men total. The names of these
men are signed to the draft of this constitution, only one
copy of which is known to exist." Captain John Woodman
signed for the town of Dover.
Birthabt 1636, Boston, Massachusetts
Death6 Jul 1698, Oyster River (Durham), New Hampshire
FatherDarby Field (~1610-1649)
Marriage15 Jul 1656, Newbury, Essex, MA
ChildrenJonathan (~1665-1750)
 John (-1705)
Marriage17 Oct 1700
Last Modified 27 Aug 2007Created 4 Sep 2012 using Reunion for Macintosh