Since 1994, I have four publications in Science and Nature. I have also authored 1 paper with >700 citations, 1 paper with >400 citations, 5 papers with >200 citations, and 5 papers with >100 citations.
2004, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
79. Y.S. Kim, S.-Y. Lin, H.-Y. Wu, and R.-P. Pan, "A tunable terahertz filter and its switching properties in terahertz region based on a defect mode of a metallic photonic crystal", J. of Appl. Phys, 109, 123111 (2011)
78. M.L. Kuo, Y.S. Kim, Mei-Li Hsieh and Shawn-Yu Lin, "Efficient and Directed Nano-LED Emission by a Complete Elimination of Transverse-Electric Guided Modes", Nano Letters 11, 476 (2011).
77. Mei-Li Hsieh and Shawn-Yu Lin, "compact holographic lithography system for photonic crystal structure", J. Vacuum Science and Technology B 29, 011015 (2011).
76. Zu-Po Yang, Mei-Li Hsieh, James A. Bur, Lijie Ci, Leonard M. Hanssen, Boris Wilthan, P.M. Ajayan and Shawn-Yu Lin, "Experimental observation of extremely weak optical scattering from an interlocking carbon nanotube array", Applied Optics 50, 1850, 2011.
75. "High performance AR coating utilizing nanoporous layers", MRS Bulletin 36, 434, 2011
74. "A surface plasmon enhanced infrared photodetector based on InAs quantum dots", Nano Letters 10, 1704 (2010).
73. "Three-dimensional Inverted Photonic Grating with Engineerable Refractive Indices for Broadband Anti-reflection of Terahertz Wave", Optics Letters 35, 3159 (2010).
72. "Optical Characterization of Bending Efficiency in On-Chip Hollow-Core Bragg Waveguides at l=1.5mm", J. Lightwave Technology 28, 1714 (2010).
71. "Efficient and Directed Nano-LED Emission by a Complete Elimination of Transverse-Electric Guided Modes", Nano Letters, accepted for publication, December 2010.
70. "A compact holographic lithography system for photonic crystal structure", J. Vacuum Science and Technology B, accepted for publication, November 2010.
69. "Experimental realization of plasmonic filters for multi-spectral and dual-polarization optical detection", Optics Letters 34, 3893 (2009).
68. "High output power density from GaN-based two-dimensional nanorod light-emitting diode arrays", Appl. Physics Letters 94, 141111 (2009).
67. "Large enhancement of light-extraction efficiency from optically pumped, nanorod light-emitting diodes", Optics Letters 34, 2078 (2009).
66. "High temperature material coatings for modification of photonic band edge position", J. of Optical Society America B26, 1405 (2009).
65. "Self-consistent theory for near-field distribution and spectrum with quantum wires and a conductive grating in terahertz regime", J. Appl. Phys. 105, 093715 (2009).
64. "Strong Light Focusing at the Sub-wavelength Scale by a Metallic Hole-Array Structure" Optics Letters 34, 106 (2009).
63. Mei-Ling Kuo, David J. Poxson, Yong Sung Kim, Frank W. Mont, Jong Kyu Kim, E. Fred Schubert, and Shawn-Yu Lin, "Realization of a near-perfect antireflection coating for silicon solar utilizations", Optics Letters 33, 2527 (2008).
62. Xinhua Hu, Ming Li, Zhuo Ye, Kai-Ming Ho, W.Y. Leung and S.Y. Lin, "Design of midinfrared photodetectors enhanced by resonant cavities with gold gratings", Appl. Physics Letters 93, 241108 (2008).
61. Zu-Po Yang, Lijie Ci, James A. Bur, Shawn-Yu Lin, and P.M. Ajayan "A vertically aligned carbon nanotube array: the darkest manmade material", Nano Letters 8, 446 (2008).
60. Minfeng Chen, S. Y. Lin, H. C. Chang, and A. S. P. Chang, ""Physical Origin of the Resonant Mode deep inside the Stop Band of a Metallodielectric Photonic Crystal", Phys. Rev. B 78, 085110 (2008).
59. Shawn-Yu Lin, Zu-Po Yang, Minfeng Chen, James A. Bur, A. Levitan, and Lester H. Kosowsky , "The Use of a Deformable Photonic Crystal for mm-wave Beam Steering", Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 31112 (2008).
58. Tim Walsh and S.Y. Lin "Power density and efficiency Thermophotovoltaic Energy Conversion Using a Photonic Crystal Emitter and 2D Metal Grid Filter", IEEE Electronic Devices 55, 1101 (2008).
57. J.Q. Xi, M. F. Schubert, J.K. Kim, E. F. Schubert, M. Chen, S. Y. Lin, W. Liu, J. Smart "Optical thin-film materials with extremely low refractive index for broad-band elimination of Fresnel reflection", Nature Photonics 1, 176-179 (2007).
56. Allan S.P. Chang, Yong S. Kim, Minfeng Chen, Jeff Yang, James A. Bur, S. Y. Lin, and K. M. Ho "Visible Three-Dimensional Metallic Photonic Crystal with non-localized propagation modes beyond the waveguide cutoff", Optics Express 15, 8428 (2007).
55. D. X. Ye, Z.-P. Yang, A. Chang, J. Bur, S. Y. Lin, T.-M. Lu, R. Z. Wang and S. John, "Experimental realization of a well-controlled 3D silicon spiral photonic crystal", J. Physics D 40, 2624 (2007). (This paper appears in the cover of the journal publication.)
54. Minfeng Chen, Hung-chun Chang, Allan S. P. Chang, Shawn-Yu Lin, J.-Q. Xi, and E. F. Schubert, "Design of optical path for wide-angle gradient-index antireflection coatings", Applied Optics 46, 6533 (2007).
53. Yong-Sung Kim, Shawn-Yu Lin, Allan S. P. Chang, Jae-Hwang Lee and Kai-Ming Ho, "Analysis of photon recycling using metallic photonic crystals", J. of Appl. Phys. 102, 63107 (2007).
52. S.Y. Lin, D.-X. Ye, T.-M. Lu, J. Bur, Y.S. Kim and K. M. Ho "Achieving a photonic band edge near visible wavelengths by metallic coating, J. Appl. Phys. 99, 83104 (2006)
51. W. Liang, Y. Huang, A. Yariv, Y. Xu and S. Y. Lin, "Modification of spontaneous emission in Bragg onion resonators", Optics Express 14, 7398 (2006).
50. J.Q. Xi, J. K. Kim, E. F. Schubert, D. Ye, T.-M. Lu, and S. Y. Lin "Very low refractive-index optical thin films consisting of an array of SiO2 nano-rods", Optics Letters 31, 601 (2006).
49. Y. Xu, W. Liang, A. Yariv, J. G. Fleming and S.Y. Lin, "Modal analysis of Bragg onion resonators", Optics. Letters 29, 424 (2004).
48. G. Subrbamania and S.Y. Lin, "Fabrication of three-dimensional photonic crystal with alignment based on electron beam lithography", Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 5037 (2004).
47. S.Y. Lin, K.K. Choi, A. Goldberg and J. Bur, "Mapping and analysis of tungsten photonic-lattice emission by infrared imaging" Photonics and Nanostructures 2, 111 (2004).
46. R. Hadley, J.G. Fleming and S.Y. Lin, "Bragg fiber design for linear polarization", Optics Letters 29, 809 (2004).
45. Y. Xu, W. Liang, A. Yariv, J. G. Fleming and S.Y. Lin, "Modal analysis of Bragg onion resonators", Optics. Letters 29, 424 (2004).
44. G. Subrbamania and S.Y. Lin, "Fabrication of three-dimensional photonic crystal with alignment based on electron beam lithography", Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 5037 (2004).
43. G. Subramania, S. Y. Lin, J. R. Wendt, and J. M. Rivera, "Tuning micro-cavity resonant wavelength using a 2D photonic-crystal slab", Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 4491 (2003).
42. Shawn-Yu Lin, J.G. Fleming and I. El-Kady, "3D Tungsten Photonic Crystal Emission Through Thermal Excitation", Optics Lett. 28, 1909 (2003).
41. S. Y. Lin, J. Moreno and J.G. Fleming, "A 3D Photonic-Crystal Emitter For Thermal Photovoltaic Generation" Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 380, (2003).
40. S. Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, and I. El-Kady, "Highly Emission Light Emission at l=1.5 mm from a 3D Tungsten Photonic Crystal", Optics. Lett., 28, 1683 (2003).
39. S. Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, and I. El-Kady, "Experimental observation of photonic-crystal emission near a photonic band-edge" Appl. Phys. Lett., 83, 593 (2003).
38. S. Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, Z.Y. Li, I. El-Kady, R. Biswas and K.M. Ho, "Origin of absorption enhancement in a three-dimensional photonic-crystal", JOSA-B 20, 1538 (2003).
37. Z .Y. Li, I. El-Kady, K.M. Ho, S.Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, "Photonic Band Gap Effect in Layer-by-Layer Metallic Photonic Crystals", J. Appl. Phys. 93, p.38 (2003).
36. S.Y. Lin, E. Chow, S. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos, "Low loss, wide angle Y-splitter at l=1.6mm wavelengths built with a two-dimensional photonic-crystal", Optics Letters, Vol. 27, 1400-1402 (2002).
35. R. Biswas, M.M. Sigalas, K.M. Ho and S.Y. Lin, "Three-dimensional photonic band gaps in modified simple cubic lattices", Phys. Rev. B 65, 205121 (2002).
34. J.G. Fleming, S. Y. Lin, I. El-Kady, R. Biswas and K.M. Ho, "All-metallic 3D photonic crystals with a large photonic band-gap" Nature 417, 52-55 (2002).
33. S.Y. Lin, E. Chow, S. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos, "Direct measurement of quality factor in a 2D photonic crystal microcavity at 1.55 mm wavelengths", Optics Letters 26, 1903 (2001).
32. S.Y. Lin, E. Chow and J.G. Fleming, "2D and 3D Photonic Crystals Built with VLSI Tools", MRS Bulletin, Vol. 26, p.627, August 2001.
31. S.Y. Lin and J.G. Fleming, "Micro-fabrication and nano-fabrication of photonic crystals", p.83, Photonic Crystal and Light Localizations, edited by C.M. Soukoulis, NATO ASI Series (2001).
30. E. Chow, S.Y. Lin, J.R. Wendt, S. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos, "Quantitative analysis of bending efficiency in photonic crystal waveguide bends at 1.55 mm wavelengths", Optics Letters, Vol. 26, p.286-288 (2001).
29. S.Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, R. Lin, M.M. Sigalas, K.M. Ho, "A complete 3D photonic band gap in a simple cubic structure", J of Opt. Soc. Ame. B, Vol. 18, 32 (2001).
28. E. Chow, S.Y. Lin, S.G. Johnson, J.D. Joannopoulos, J.R. Wendt, G.A. Vawter, W. Zubrzycki, H. Hou and A. Alleman "Three-dimensional control of light in a 2D photonic crystal slab", Nature 407, p.983-986 (2000).
27. S.Y. Lin, E. Chow, S. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos, "Experimental demonstration of highly efficient waveguiding in a 2D photonic crystal slab", Optics Letters, vol. 25, 1297 (2000).
26. S.Y. Lin, JG Fleming, E Chow, J Bur, KK Choi, A. Goldberg "Enhancement and Suppression of thermal emission by a 3D photonic crystal", Phys. Rev. B 62 (Rapid Communication), R2243 (2000).
25. S.Y. Lin, JG Fleming, "A 3D optical photonic crystal", IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.17, p.1944 (1999).
24. R. Biswas, M.M. Sigalas, K.M. Ho and S.Y. Lin, "Waveguide bends in 3D layer by layer photonic band gap", Micro. and Optics Tech. Lett., 23, p.56 (1999).
23. S.Y. Lin, JG Fleming, MM Sigalas, R Biswas, KM Ho, " Photonic band gap micro-cavities in three-dimensions", Phys. Rev. B59, R15, 579 (1999).
22. S.Y. Lin and J.G. Fleming, "A 3D photonic crystal with a stop band from 1.35 to 1.95 mm", Optics Letters, 24, p. 49 (1999).
21. S.Y. Lin, Edmund Chow, Vince Hietala, Pierre R. Villeneuve, J. D. Joannopoulos "Experimental demonstration of guiding and bending of electromagnetic waves in a photonic crystal", Science 282, p. 274 (1998).
20. S.Y. Lin, J.G. Fleming, D. L. Hetherington, B. K. Smith, R. Biswas, K. M. Ho, M. M. Sigalas, W. Zubrzycki,, S. R. Kurtz, and J. Bur, "A three-dimensional photonic crystal operating at infrared wavelengths", Nature 394, p. 251 (1998).
19. L. Wang and S.Y. Lin, "Direct measurement of refractive-index dispersion using a time-delayed technique", Review of Scientific Instruments, V.69, 1472 (1998).
18. S. Y. Lin, VM Hietala, L Wang, ED Jones, "A highly dispersive photonic band gap prism", Optics Letters, Vol.21, p. 1771 (1996).
17. L. Wang and S.Y. Lin, "Time-resolved carrier recombination dynamics of 1.3-1.8 mm broadband light emitting diode structures", J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 80, 6965 (1996).
16. S.Y. Lin and G. Arjavalingam, "Photonic band gap quantum well and quantum box structures: a high-Q resonant cavity", Appl. Phys. Letters, 68, 3233 (1996).
15. Z. G. Ivanov, E. A. Stepantsov, T. Claeson, F. Wenger, S. Y. Lin, N. Khare, and P. Chaudhari "Highly anisotropic supercurrent transport in YBa2Cu3O7-δ bicrystal Josephson junctions", Phys. Rev. B57, 602 (1998)
14. S.Y. Lin, P. Chaudhari, "A search for nodes in the wavefunction of superconducting Y1Ba2Cu3O7-d thin films", p.39, Advances in Superconductivity VII, Springer-Verlag Tokyo, Japan (1995).
13. J. R. Kirtley, P. Chaudhari, M. B. Ketchen, N. Khare, Shawn-Yu Lin, and T. Shaw, "Distribution of magnetic flux in high Tc grain boundary junctions enclosing hexagonal and triangular areas", Phys. Rev. B51 (Rapid Comm.), 12057 (1995).
12. S.Y. Lin and G. Arjavalingam, "Photonic bound states in two-dimensional photonic crystals probed by coherent microwave transient spectroscopy", JOSA-B, vol.11, 2124 (1994).
11. A. Zaslavsky, D. A. Grützmacher, S. Y. Lin, T. P. Smith, III, R. A. Kiehl, and T. O. Sedgwick, "Valence band Landau level mixing and anisotropy in Si[1-x]Ge[x] investigated by resonant magnetotunneling", Surface Science 305, 307 (1994).
10. P. Chaudhari and S.Y. Lin, "Symmetry of superconducting order parameter in Y1Ba2Cu3O7-d epitaxial films", Phys. Rev. Lett., 72, 1084 (1994).
9. A. Zaslavsky, D. A. Grützmacher, S. Y. Lin, T. P. Smith, III, R. A. Kiehl, and T. O. Sedgwick, "Observation of valence-band Landau-level mixing by resonant magnetotunneling", Phys. Rev. B 47, 16036 (1993).
8. A. Zaslavsky, D. A. Grützmacher, S. Y. Lin, T. P. Smith, III, R. A. Kiehl, and T. O. Sedgwick, "In-plane valence-band nonparabolicity and anisotropy in strained Si-Ge quantum wells", Phys. Rev. B 48, 15112 (1993).
7. S.Y. Lin, A Zaslavsky, K Hirakawa, D.C. Tsui, JF Klem, "Subband dispersion of holes in AlAs/In0.10Ga0.90As/AlAs strained layer quantum wells measured by resonant magnetotunneling", Appl. Phys. Lett. 60, 601 (1992).
6. H. P. Wei, S. Y. Lin, and D. C. Tsui, A. M. M. Pruisken, "Effect of long-range potential fluctuations on scaling in the integer quantum Hall effect", Phys. Rev. B 45, 3926 (1992).
5. S. Y. Lin, HP Wei, DC Tsui, JF Klem, SJ Allen Jr, "Extreme g-factor anisotropy induced by strain", Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Comm.) 43, 12100 (1991).
4. S.Y. Lin, DC Tsui, LR Dawson, CP Tigges, JE Schirber, "Magneto-optics of two-dimensional holes in strained-layer InAs0.15Sb0.85/InSb superlattice", Appl. Phys. Lett. 57, 1015 (1990).
3. S. Y. Lin, DC Tsui, H Lee, D Ackley, "Conduction band offset in strained Al0.15Ga0.85As/In0.15Ga0.85As/GaAs pseudomorphic structures", Appl. Phys. Lett. 55, 2211 (1989).
2. S.Y. Lin, D.C. Tsui, J. Klem, " Cyclotron resonance of 2D holes in strained-layer GaAs/InGaAs/GaAs quantum well", Appl. Phys. Lett. 67, 2170 (1989).
1. C.T. Liu, S.Y. Lin, D.C. Tsui, H. Lee and D. Ackley, "Cyclotron resonance measurements of electron effective mass in strained AlGaAs/InGaAs/GaAs pseudomorphic structures Appl. Phys. Lett. 53, 2510 (1988).