Assad is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering. He is the Associate Director of the Scientific Computation Research Center and a member of the Inverse Problems Center at RPI.
Assad received his PhD. in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University in 1998. In 2001, Assad joined Boston University and in 2006 he moved to the Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering Department at RPI.
Assad's research involves developing numerical methods for solving inverse problems and problems with multiple spatial and temporal scales. His work on multiscale problems includes modeling incompressible and compressible turbulent flows, MHD flows, multiphase flows, and problems with strong discontinuities. In inverse problems he has been working on the promising new area of biomechanical imaging with applications in detection, diagnosis and treatment monitoring of disease, surgical planning and training and facilitating fundamental studies in biomechanics and mechanobiology.
Courses Taught at RPI :
- Engineering Dynamics, ENG 2090, Sophomore. Terms taught: Spring 2008 and Spring 2009
- Boundary Layers and Heat Transfer, MANE 4800, Senior. Term taught: Fall 2007
- Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, MANE 4900, Senior. Terms taught: Spring 2007 and Spring 2011
- Fluid Dynamics, MANE 6964, Graduate. Term taught: Fall 2006, Fall 2008 and Fall 2009
- Thermal and Fluids Engineering 1, ENG 2250, Sophomore. Terms taught: Spring 2006 and Spring 2009
Courses Taught at BU :
- Aerodynamics 1, AM420, Junior. Term taught: Spring 2004
- Elementary Mechanics, EK301, Sophomore. Terms taught: Fall 2001 & Spring 2003
- Continuum Mechanics, AM521, Graduate. Terms taught: Spring 2002 & Fall 2003
- Multiscale Methods in Mechanics, AM711, Graduate. Term taught: Spring 2005
- Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, EK303, Junior. Terms taught: Fall 2004 & Fall 2005
- Finite Element Analysis, AM707. Terms taught: Fall 2002 & Fall 2005
Peer Reviewed Journals :
- Adjoint consistency analysis of residual-based variational multiscale methods, JE Hicken, O Sahni and AA Oberai, submitted to the Journal of Computational Physics.
- A Residual Based Eddy Viscosity Model for the Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flows. AA Oberai, J Liu, D Sondak, and TJR Hughes, submitted to Physics of Fluids.
- A Galerkin least squares method for time harmonic Maxwell equations using Nedelec elements. J Jagalur-Mohan, GR Feijoo, AA Oberai, to appear in the Journal of Computational Physics, 2012.
- LES models for incompressible magnetohydrodynamics derived from the variational multiscale formulation. D Sondak and AA Oberai, to appear in Physics of Plasmas, 2012.
- Uniqueness of the elastography inverse problem for incompressible nonlinear planar hyperelasticity. ER Ferreira, AA Oberai and PE Barbone, In verse Problems, 28(6), 065008, 2012.
- Formulas for detecting a spherical stiff inclusion from interior data: A sensitivity analysis for the Helmholtz equation. J McLaughlin, AA Oberai and J-R Yoon, Inverse problems, 28, 084004, 2012.
- An augmented Lagrangian stabilized B-splines FEM formulation for the solution of an inverse elasticity problem. CA Rivas, PE Barbone and AA Oberai, submitted to Computer Method in Applied Mechanics and Engineering.
- Solution of the time-harmonic viscoelastic inverse problem with interior data in two dimensions, Y Zhang, AA Oberai, PE Barbone and I Harari, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2012.
- Linear and Nonlinear Elasticity Imaging: An Application to Breast Cancer Diagnosis, Sevan Goenezen, Jean-Francois Dord, Zac Sink, Paul E. Barbone, Jingfeng Jiang, Timothy J. Hall, and Assad A. Oberai, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 31(8), 1628-1637, 2012.
- Application of the residual-based variational multiscale formulation to the large eddy simulation of compressible flows. J. Liu and A. A. Oberai, to appear in Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering.
- A two-way coupled polydispersed two-fluid model for the simulation of air entrainment beneath a plunging liquid jet. Jingsen Ma, Assad A. Oberai, Donald A. Drew and Richard T. Lahey, Jr, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 134, 101304, (2012).
- Two-fluid modeling of bubbly flows around surface ships using a phenomenological subgrid air entrainment model. J Ma, AA Oberai, MC Hyman, DA Drew and RT Lahey, Jr., Computers and Fluids, 50, 50-57, 2011.
- Modeling air Entrainment in a hydraulic jump using two-fluid RANS and DES turbulence models. J Ma, AA Oberai, RT Lahey, Jr. and DA Drew, Jounral of Heat and Mass Transfer, 47, 911-919, 2011.
- Transversely Isotropic Elasticity Imaging of Cancellous Bone. Spencer W Shore, Paul Barbone, Assad Oberai, Elise F Morgan, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 133(6), 061002, 2011.
- Recent results in nonlinear strain and modulus imaging, TJ Hall, PE Barbone, AA Oberai, J Jiang, JF Dord, S Goenezen, and TG Fisher, Current Medical Imaging Reviews, 7(4), 313-327, 2011.
- Detached direct numerical simulations of turbulent two-phase bubbly channel flow. IA Bolotnov, KE Jansen, DA Drew, AA Oberai, RT Lahey, Jr. and MZ Podowski, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 37(6), 647-659, 2011.
- Solution of the nonlinear elasticity imaging inverse problem: the incompressible case. S Goenezen, PE Barbone and AA Oberai, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 200 (13-16), 1406-1420, March 2011.
- A comprehensive subgrid air entrainment model for RaNS modeling of bubbly free surface bubbly flows. J Ma, AA Oberai, DA Drew, RT Lahey Jr., and MC Hyman, Journal of Computational Multiphase Flows, 3(1), 41-56, 2011.
- Application of the variational Germano identity to the variational multiscale formulation. AA Oberai and D Sondak, Communications in International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 27(2), 335-344, 2011.
- Theory of reconstructing the spatial distribution of the filtration coefficient in vascularized soft tissues: exact and approximate inverse solutions. R Leiderman, AA Oberai, and PE Barbone, Comptes Rendus Mecanique, Vol. 338, Issues 7-8, Pages 412-423, July 2010.
- A mixed LES model based on the residual-based variational multiscale formulation. Z Wang and AA Oberai, Physics of Fluids, vol. 22, 2010.
- A quantitative subgrid air entrainment model for bubbly flows: plunging jets, J Ma, AA Oberai, DA Drew, RT Lahey Jr., and FJ Moraga, Computers and Fluids, 39(1), 77-86, 2010.
- Spectral analysis of the dissipation of the residual based variational multiscale method, Z Wang and AA Oberai, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 199(13), 810-818, 2010.
- Quantitative ultrasonic elastography for gel dosimetry, RA Crescenti, JC Bamber, AA Oberai, PE Barbone, JP Richter, C Rivas, NL Bush, and S Webb, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 36(2), 268-275, 2010.
- Spectral analysis of the turbulent kinetic energy balance in a channel flow based on DNS data, IA Bolotnov, RT Lahey Jr., DA Drew, KE Jansen and AA Oberai, Computers and Fluids, 39(4), 640-655, 2010.
- Adjoint-weighted variational formulation for the direct solution of inverse problems of general elasticity with full interior data, PE Barbone, CE Rivas, I Harari, U Albocher, AA Oberai and Y Zhang, Interntional Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 81(13), 1713-1736, 2009.
- Adjoint-weighted equation for inverse problems of incompressible plane-stress elasticity, U Albocher, AA Oberai, PE Barbone and I Harari, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, volume 198 (30-32), 2412-2420, 2009.
- Sepctral cascade modeling of turbulent flow in a channel, IA Bolotnov, RT Lahey, DA Drew, KE Jansen and AA Oberai, Japanese Journal of Multiphase Flow, 23(2), 2009.
- Quantitative three-dimensional elasticity imaging from quasi-static deformation: a phantom study, MS Richards, PE Barbone and AA Oberai, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 54(3), 2009.
- Lanczos-iterated time reversal, AA Oberai, GR Feijoo and PE Barbone, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America -Express Letters, 2(125), 70-76, 2009.
- Linear and nonlinear elasticity imaging of tissue in-vivo: Demonstration of feasibility, AA Oberai, NH Gokhale, S Goenezen, PE Barbone, TJ Hall, AM Sommer and J Jiang, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 54, 1191-1207, 2009.
- In-Situ detection of impact damage in composites using carbon nanotube sensor netwroks, A Proper, W Zhang, S Bartolucci, AA Oberai and N Koratkar, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, vol 1(1), 3-7, 2009.
- Analytical estimates for the subgrid model for Burgers equation: Ramifications for spectral methods for conservation laws, AA Oberai, CE Colosqui and J Wanderer, International Jounral for Multiscale Computational Engineering, vol. 6, issue 4, 2008.
- A spectral turbulent cascade model for single and two-phase uniform shear flows, IA bolotnov, RT Lahey, Jr., DA Drew, KE Jansen and AA Oberai, Journal of Turbulence, vol. 9, N 26, 2008.
- A Two-Parameter Variational Multiscale Method for Large Eddy Simulation, J Wanderer and AA Oberai, Physics of Fluids (20) 085107, 2008.
- Optimal numerical solution of PDEs using the Variational Germano Identity. AA Oberai and Z Wang, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 197 (33-40), 2948-2962, 2008 .
- Solution of the nonlinear elsaticity imaging inverse problem: the compressible case. N.H. Gokhale, P.E. Barbone and A.A. Oberai, Inverse Problems, 24(4), 2008.
- Generalized Smagorinsky Model in Physical Space. C.E. Colosqui & A.A. Oberai, Computers and Fluids, 37(3), 207-217, 2008.
- The adjoint weighted equation for steady advection in a compressible fluid. A.A. Oberai, P.E. Barbone & I. Harari, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 54(6-8), 683-693, 2007.
- Elastic modulus imaging: some exact solutions of the compressible elastography inverse problem. P.E. Barbone & A.A. Oberai, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 52(6), 1577-1593, 2007.
- Adjoint-weighted variational formulation for direct solution of inverse heat conduction problem. PE Barbone, AA Oberai and I Harari, Inverse Problems, 23, 2325-2342, 2007.
- Coupling between elastic strain and interstitial fluid flow: ramifications for poroelasticity imaging. R. Leiderman, P.E. Barbone, A.A. Oberai & J.C. Bamber, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 51(24), 6291-6313, 2006.
- A Dynamic Multiscale Viscosity Method for the Spectral Approximation of Conservation Laws. A.A. Oberai & J. Wanderer, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 195(13-16), 1778-1792, 2006.
- Acoustic eigenvalues of rectangular rooms with arbitrary wall impedances using the interval Newton/generalized bisection method. Y. Naka, A.A. Oberai & B. Shinn-Cunningham, Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 118(6), 3662-3671, 2005.
- Variational Formulation of the Germano Identity for the Navier-Stokes Equations. A.A. Oberai & J. Wanderer, Journal of Turbulence, vol. 6, 2005.
- A Dynamic Approach for Evaluating Parameters in a Numerical Method. A.A. Oberai & J. Wanderer, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 62:50-71, 2005.
- Evaluation of the Adjoint Equation Based Algorithm for Elasticity Imaging. A.A. Oberai, N.H. Gokhale, M.M. Doyley, J.C.Bamber, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 49:2955-2974, 2004.
- Sensitivity of the Scale Partition for Variational Multiscale LES of Channel Flow. J. Holmen, T.J.R. Hughes, A.A. Oberai and G.N. Wells, Physics of Fluids, 16(3):824-827, 2004.
- An Application of Shape Optimization in the Solution of Inverse Acoustic Scattering Problems. G.R. Feijoo, A.A. Oberai and P.M. Pinsky, Inverse Problems,20:199-228, 2004.
- A Krylov subspace projection method for simultaneous solution of Helmholtz problems at multiple frequencies. M.M. Wagner, P.M.Pinsky, A.A. Oberai and M. Malhotra, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 192 (41-42): 4609-4640 2003.
- Solution of Inverse Problems in Elasticity Imaging Using the Adjoint Method. A.A. Oberai, N.H. Gokhale and G.R. Feijoo, Inverse Problems, 19 (2003) 297-313.
- Calculation of Shear Stresses in Fourier-Galerkin Formulation of Turbulent Channel Flows: Projection, the Dirichlet Filter and Conservation. T.J.R. Hughes and A.A. Oberai, Journal of Computational Physics 188(1):281--295, 2003.
- Trailing-edge noise from a finite chord airfoil. A.A. Oberai, F. Roknaldin and T.J.R. Hughes, AIAA journal, Volume 40, No. 11, 2206-2216 (2002).
- Shape sensitivity calculations for exterior acoustics problems. G.R. Feijoo, M. Malhotra, A.A. Oberai, and P.M. Pinsky, Engineering Computations, 18(3/4):376--391.
- Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Channel Flows by the Variational Multiscale Method. T.J.R. Hughes, A.A. Oberai and L. Mazzei, Physics of Fluids 13(6):1784--99, 2001.
- The Multiscale Formulation of Large Eddy Simulation: Decay of Homogeneous Isotropic Turbulence. T.J.R. Hughes, L. Mazzei, A.A. Oberai and A.A. Wray, Physics of Fluids, 13(2):505--512, 2001.
- Shape sensitivity analysis applied to exterior acoustics. G.R. Feijo´o, A.A. Oberai and P.M. Pinsky. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Noise Control and Acoustics Division (Publication) NCA 28 (28), pp. 271-278, 2001.
- Computational Procedures for Determining Structural Acoustic Response due to Hydrodynamic Sources. A.A. Oberai, F. Roknaldin and T.J.R. Hughes, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 190(3-4):345--361, 2000.
- A Numerical Comparison of Finite Element Methods for the Helmholtz Equation. A.A. Oberai and P.M. Pinsky, Journal of Computational Acoustics, 8(1):211--221, 2000.
- A Residual-based Finite Element Method for the Helmholtz equation. A.A. Oberai and P.M. Pinsky, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 49:399-419, 2000.
- On the Implementation of the Dirichlet-to-Neumann Map for Iterative Solution of the Helmholtz Equation. A.A. Oberai, M. Malhotra and P.M. Pinsky, Journal of Applied Numerical Mathematics, 27(4):443--464, 1998.
- A Multiscale Finite Element Method for the Helmholtz Equation. A.A. Oberai and P. M. Pinsky, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 154:281--297, 1998.
Chapters in Books :
- The Variational Multiscale Formulation of LES with Application to Turbulent Channel Flows, TJR Hughes and AA Oberai, in Geometry, Mechanics and Dynamics, Volume in Honor of the 60th Birthday of JE Marsden.
- Optimum design of echogenic needles for ultrasound guided nerve block, Assad Oberai, Yun Jing, Robert Bocala, and Paul Bigeleisen, in Ultrasound Guided Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine: Techniques and Tips, 2009, published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- A Review of the Mathematical and Computational Foundations of Biomechanical Imaging, Paul E. Barbone and Assad A. Oberai, Computational Modeling in Biomechanics, 2010, Part 4, 375-408.