From this site, you will find the course information, class announcements, homework assignments
and some other related resources. Please visit here regularly for updated information.
- You can find b.mat, Poisson.pdf under 'homework assignments'.
- Instructor: Prof. Fengyan Li (office: AE332; phone: *3201; email: lif at rpi dot edu)
- Lecture: 10:00am-11:50am on Tuesdays and Fridays, Carnegie 106
- Office Hours: 1:00pm-2:00pm Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Textbook: Numerical Linear Algebra, by L.N. Trefethen and D. Bau, III. (SIAM)
- Reference text: Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, by J.W. Demmel (SIAM)
- Prerequisite: Familiar with the main concepts and techniques in
Linear Algebra and at least one programming language,
capable of carrying out basic mathematical analysis and derivation
40%: Homework assignments
30%: Midterm exam (on October 8, 2013)
30%: Take-home final
Objectives and Various Policies:
Survey: You are invited to fill out a
- Homework 1: 1.3 (graded), 2.3 (graded); 1.1, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, due
by 10am Sept 10.
- Homework 2: 3.1 (graded), [Extra- Show (3.10) on page 21] (graded);
3.3, 4.4, 5.3(a)(c)(d), 5.4 due by 10am Sept 20.
- Homework 3, due by 10am Oct 1.
- Homework 4, not collected.
- Homework 5, due by 10am Nov 5 (Tuesday).
- Homework 6, due by 10am Nov 15 (Friday)
- Bonus , due: either before thanksgiving break, or by 12pm on Dec 2.
- For the take-home final [b.mat],
Everyone is welcome to contribute to the following:
You can email me either an online link, an electronic (scanned) copy of pages from some research papers,
a typed-up or a scanned hand-written file
- References for MATLAB
- Applications; class demo; extra discussions
- Solutions to interesting questions
Can we trust the result in inverse iteration when the shift is close to an eigenvalue?