Talin region, Republic of Armenia
AA Vol. 1, Fiche #
The Cathedral of Talin is located in the village and region of the same name in the Republic of Armenia (coord. 40-23 / 43-53). On the basis of architectural evidence, the church is assigned to the 7th century during the time when the region of Talin was ruled by the Kamsarakan family. The cathedral is one of the most imposing churches in Armenia in both size and height, but it has been severely damaged over the centuries. In 1840, an earthquake destroyed the cupola and part of the drum and much of the structure is still in need of restoration.
Talin Cathedral is a longitudinal 3-aisled church with a central cupola.
Four large piers connected by arches define the central square that once
supported the cupola. The church has three apses that project from the
north east and south elevations. These projecting apses are polygonal on
the exterior and there are entrances
on the north, south and west elevations.