(Aruc, Arudch, formerly Talish)
Astarak, Republic of Armenia
AA Vol. 1, Fiche # 059-061.
The Church (Cathedral) of S.Grigor at Aruch (also known as Aruc or Talis) is located 55 km west, and somewhat north of Erevan, in the region of Ashtarak (coord. 40-18 / 44-07). Aruch is the only Early Christian domed-hall church that can be accurately dated. Based on epigraphical and historical evidence, work began around 671-72 AD and both the church and an adjacent palace were built by Prince Grigor Mamikonian. The church is the largest of the Armenian domed-hall churches and it was restored, except for the drum and cupola, between 1946 to1948.