Eghegnadzor, Mikoyan Region, Republic of Armenia
AA Vol. 3. Fiche # 084-090.
The Monastery of Noravank' is located in a clearing amid sheer cliffs
on the north side of a steep gorge formed by a tributary of the Arp`a River
in the Vayots-Dzor valley. This monastery complex is 3 km east of the village
of Amaghu, in the province of Eghegnadzor, Republic of Armenia (approx.coord.
39-42 / 45-12). Inside the walls of the complex are three churches, standing
side-by-side, a large gavit (1261 AD) located in front of the central
church (S.Karapet, 1221-1227 AD) and a two-storied mausoleum-chapel (S.Astvatsatsin).
Ouside the walls are two small burial chapels. This monastery contains
the works of two renowned Armenian master-craftsmen; the architect Siranes
and the architect-sculptor-manuscript painter Momik.