Questions on Schon, Sanyal and Mitchell ch 2-3
1) pp. 46-47 What are the two opening stories illustrating?
2) pp. 48-9 Describe the digital revolution as seen by Gates and Negroponte.
3) pp. 50-51 What argues in favor of the continuation of cities? 52-53 What argues against the continuation of cities?
4) 54-57 What factors indicate that we may see a widening gap between the information rich and the information poor?
5) 58-60 What does Hall (the author) predict for the changes in urban geography?
6) 62 What would a neoconservative like Richard Herrnstein or Charles Murry suggest as a solution to this problem? What does Hall see as the solution?
7) 53-65 Why is this solution more complicated than it seems?
8) 72-3 In what ways have low-income urban communities been both havens and traps?
9) 74-77 What has been the overall tendency for the ethnic composition of low-income urban communities?
10) 74-75 Compare the poverty index and infant death rates for Washington DC and Providence R.I.
10) 78-80 what is income segregation?
11) 81 What problems are associated with center city poverty? 93 What are the trends for unemployment?