Questions on African Fractals ch 7-8
1) pp. 86-87 Compare the iterative properties of the positive integers (“counting numbers”) with that of the triangular numbers. Why does this matter for the African game tarumbeta?
2) pp. 87-98 What evidence suggests that ancient Egyptians independently invented the Fibonacci sequence? What similarity can you find between the role of the altar in Karnak’s architecture and the altars in figure 2.3 and 2.4?
3) pp. 89-90 What is the doubling sequence, and where do we find it in African cultural practices?
4) pp. 90-93 Explain the significance of the doubling sequence in Shango.
5) Pp. 93-96 What is Bamana sand divination? What is its mathematical significance?
6) p. 98 How could you implement Bamana sand divination in hardware?
7) pp. 99-100 What suggests that the Bamana technique originated in Africa? What was its significance in Europe?
8) pp. 101-102 Explain the “marching formation” in Owari.
9) pp. 103-105 Explain cellular automata.
10)pp. 106-107 How can Owari exhibit cellular automata dynamics? What is the cultural significance of this connection?
11)pp. 109-111 What are the three types of recursion? How are they distinguished?
12)pp. 112 How can we distinguish between different types of recursion in construction techniques?
13)Pp. 113, fig 8.2n Explain the recursive aspects of Yoruba adire cloth.
14)pp. 113, fig 8.3 How does cultural meaning enter into recursive construction?
15)Pp. 116,120 How is luck symbolized by recursion?
16)pp. 121-123 How is age symbolized by recursion?
17)pp. 124-125 Explain the symbolism of the chi wara.
18)pp. 124-126 What is significance of scaling sequences in Batammaliba architecture?
19)pp. 127-129 Explain the relations between religion, kinship and recursion in Mitsogho?
20)pp. 127-130 Explain the significance of the scaling squares on the Tabwa and Baluba designs.
21)pp. 131-133 Explain the recursive aspects of Dogon cosmology.
22)Pp. 134-135 Besides the Dogon, what other recursive religions do we see in north Africa?
23)Pp. 137-138 What is the difference between drawing the Dogon pot stack by iteration versus self-reference? Can we be certain which program reflects the Dogon point of view?
24)Pp. 137-140 What examples of self-reference can we find in Africa?
25)Pp.140-141 what is the significance of the ancient Egyptian “reflux” icon?
26)Pp. 141-143 describe negative feedback in engineering and voodoo
27)Pp. 143-145 what feedback icons do we find in Baule carvings? Explain.