Campbell-Kelly questions ch 2-3
1) 29-30 what are the three main office tasks today, and how were they implemented in the late 19th century? 30-31 Is the QWERTY keyboard the optimal in ergonomic efficiency? What would be, and why isnít it used?
2) 33-34 Use what you learned in Fang to better understand the social significance of the influx of women into typing.
3) 34-36 What innovations were introduced by the Rands?
4) 37 What is the relationship between the late 19th century adding machine and the late 19th century typewriter? 38-39 What innovations were added by William S. Burroughs? Extra credit: what is the title of the famous novel written by his great-grandson of the same name?
5) 40-41 Where did NCR get its first cash register from? Why was it invented? 40-43 What business innovations did NCRís founder Patterson introduce?
6) 43-44 How did IBMís founder Watson get his start? 45-46 What was the Hollerith tabulating machine? 47-49 How did Watson change Hollerithís company?
7) What were the relations between innovation and economy that resulted in the success of IBM?
8) 60-61 What is analog computing, and how was it done in the 19th century? 62-63 What were the 20th century innovations in analog computing?
9) 64-66 What was the computational work of Lewis Fry Richardson, and how was it affected by his religious beliefs?
10) 67-69 What innovations did Leslie John Comrie bring to computing, and how was that tied to gender relations in the US?
11) 69-72 Why did Howard Aiken want to construct the Harvard Mark 1? How was this inspired by Babbage? 73 How did Lovelace anticipate a solution that Aiken had overlooked?
12) 74-75 How did the public receive the Mark 1? What good did it do anyone?