Questions on Kelly ch 13-14
1) pp. 230-233 contrast the games Populous and Civilization.
2) 233-6 Contrast Sim City and Sim Earth
3) 236-237 What is the relation between Jaron Lanier’s VR and the previous simulations discussed?
4) 238-240 Contrast the modernist view of simulation as an inferior fake with the postmodernist views of Eco and Baudrillard
5) 241-2 How might simulations help in the communication industry?
6) 243-48 What are the military interests in simulation?
7) 249-255 What general themes seem common to the collective simulations of BattleTech, MUDs etc?
8) 256-7 Why does Kelly bring up the Biblical account of creation?
9) 258-9 Who is Borges, and what is his (fictional) library?
10)260-3 What does Kelly imagine himself doing in Borges’ library
11)264-6 How does the work of Karl sims constitut a graphical equivalent to Borges’ library?
12)266-71 Describe the work of Dawkins and its parallels to Borges’ library.
13)272-5 Describe the work of Latham in “breeding” images.
14)277-8 Describe El-Fish.
15)279-82 How might evolutionism be used in future applications?