1) pp. 60-62 what challenges does Beth find in her attempts to correct her computer model, and how are they solved?
2) pp. 62-64 why is it incorrect to say that an object world is defined by the design hardware? What else is there?
3) pp. 67-69 what similarities does Bucciarelli see between the efforts of Beth on her computer model and Don on the air knife?
4) pp.70-72 "story" implies something we just make up, like a fairy tale -- how can this word be applied to something as empirical and objective as engineering design?
5) pp. 72-76 apply the concepts of tacit knowledge and closure to Don's work on the E&M option.
6) pp. 79-81 why is it more useful to discuss Ed's modification of the heat transfer program in terms of a clash between object worlds than an error in the mathematical equations?
7) pp. 84-86 What is the relation between reductionism and causal chains in object world stories? What is the relation between conservation and hierarchy in object world stories?
8) pp. 87-90 Why does Bucciarelli reject "theory of operation" and "puzzle solving" in favor of "story telling?" Use the statement by Sergio (p. 89) as an illustration.
9) pp. 97-98 Why does Bucciarelli say engineering drawings are both "more than" and "less than" what meets the eye?
10) pp. 107-108 what (other than vector differential calculus) is "the lesson" taught in the hydraulic cylinder example? pp. 108-110 why not make further embellishments?
11) pp. 111-112 what is the significance of the double-ended arrows in the design flowchart (fig 9)? why not show this as a network of loops rather than a unilineal (single-line) flow?
12) pp. 116-117 how does the discussion of the development of an innovative machine tool for the production of a photovoltaic module help to illustrate the concept of time used in the management process?
13) pp. 119-122 Contrast solutions proposed by Ed and Tom with that proposed by Mary and John. How does this conpare with the diagram?
14) pp. 123-125 What does Murphy's law tell us about the role of underlying principles in engineering design?