2RCR: Photosynthetic Reaction Center
The structure to the right is a membrane-bound photosynthetic
reaction center from the species Rhodobacter sphaeroides.
Identify the following:
- The three hydrophobic subunits: H, L, and M
- Four bacteriochlorophyll (BChl) molecules
- Two bacteriopheophytin (BPheo) molecules (*What is the basic
difference between BPheo and BChl?)
- Two ubiquinone (QB) or one ubiquinone and one
menaquinone (QA) molecules
- Fe (II) atom
- Mg(II) atoms
- Describe the general symmetry in the arrangement of
these prosthetic groups
- Locate the "special pair"